DID YOU KNOW Atlantic Community High School has a graduation coach?
As part of a new DID YOU KNOW? series featuring people at school, we asked graduation coach Mr. Len Peters to tell us about what he does:
I work in close collaboration with the other school counselors to help assure students are aware of their options for further education upon graduating from Atlantic.
- Meeting students individually to look over their academic history, and support them in obtaining the best possible grades.
- Counseling students in deciding which college or further education program is most suitable, and guiding them as necessary in the application process.
- Assisting students in registering for ACT and SAT tests, and guiding them in proper preparation.
- Assisting students in registering for the NCAA, and developing supportive relationships with their coaches to assure academic success.
- Visiting classes with the junior and senior class counselors to explain my role, and the options students have after high school.
- Meeting with students and college admission counselors, along with the IB counselor, Ms. Bruce.
Students sign up at the Student Services office in Building 2 to see me, or else come by anytime they are free before school, during lunch, or after school.
My other major responsibility is working with Dr. Allen and Ms. Castellano as cooridinator for all comprehensive tests such as the FCAT, Diagnostics, EOCs, PSAT and SAT.
My goal in this position is to make sure every student understands the need for continuing their education after graduating, and to provide necessary support and counseling in the decision making process. I am working to create a vibrant career resource room where students can come and research academic and career options, work on their applications, and register for standardized tests.
I have worked for 20 years in international schools in the UK, India, and Thailand as a teacher, counselor, development director, and head of school. I have extensive experience in residential construction as an electrician and lighting system designer. I recently completed a MEd. in School Counseling at the University of Massachussets Boston.
If you're interested in supporting the Career Resource Room at Atlantic, please click here to visit Mr. Peters' AdoptAClassroom page.
If you'd like to nominate someone at Atlantic for a future DID YOU KNOW? feature, please let us know in the comments below or email AtlanticHighPTSA@gmail.com.